This dataset is comprised of three .csv files containing daily results for precipitation (mm), minimum temperature at surface (oC), and maximum temperature at surface (oC) as retrieved and reformatted from the Coupled Model Intercomparison Project Phase 6 (CMIP6) model outputs. The values in this dataset were pulled from model outputs at 100m resolution for the historical, SSP1-RCP2.6, SSP2-RCP4.5, SSP3-RCP7.5, and SSP5-RCP8.5 scenario experiments, as available. These outputs cover a period from 1850-Jan-01 to 2100-Dec-31, where each column of data is comprised of the historical output for the indicated model (ending on 2014-Dec-31) and the output for the indicated future scenario.
Data for the following stations are included with the dataset:
- Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi (JKIA)
Models in this dataset include:
The absence of any r1i1p1f1 variant model runs for the four indicated climate scenarios at 100m resolution with daily frequency was due to redundance, NetCDF format error, lack of corresponding historical run, or download inaccessibility at the time of study initiation (Dec. 2021). Please note that there were models excluded from consideration by these conditions and that no statement on the quality or accuracy of a model should be inferred from its inclusion or exclusion from this dataset.
The data are packaged and deployed so as to be Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable (FAIR) in accordance with open data FAIR Guiding Principles (Wilkinson et al, 2016).
Primary Data Columns:
- date: Calendar date (YYYY-MM-DD)
- da: Day of the month
- mo: Month of the year
- yr: Year of record
- Data are in columns with the naming convention "Model_Scenario" (e.g., the column for AWI-CM-1-1-MR and SSP1-RCP2.6 is labelled "AWI-CM-1-1-MR_ssp126").
All data retrieved from World Climate Research Program Coupled Model Intercomparison Project Phase 6 using the Earth System Grid Federation Data Portal hosted by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (http:/esgf-node.llnl.gov/projects/esgf-llnl/).
This dataset was made possible in part through support provided by the Center for Development Research, U.S. Global Development Lab (Lab), U.S. Agency for International Development, through the LASER PULSE Program under the terms of Cooperative Agreement No. 7200AA18CA00009. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Agency for International Development.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Garibay, V. M.; Gitau, M. W.; Kiggundu, N.; Kisekka, J.; Kongo, V.; Mati, B.; Moriasi, D.; Munishi, S. E. (2022). Precipitation and Temperature Data from 10 CMIP6 Models for Select 5 Stations in Kenya. Purdue University Research Repository. doi:10.4231/G3T3-5287
Version 1.0. of January 31, 2022
The user is responsible for evaluation and use of the data. The authors make no warranties and are not liable for any errors arising out of or in connection to access or use of the dataset and associated materials.
Items in the image gallery are governed by a different license than the dataset itself.
- EAMap.png is part of a graphic published in DOI: 10.1007/s11269-021-02804-8
- Remaining images are attributed to Victoria M. Garibay and may be used for non-commercial purposes.