The Murchison Bay Watershed in Uganda covers an area of 40.9 km2. The bay is a part of Lake Victoria and its watershed is located between latitudes 00° 10′ 00″ N and 00° 30′ 00″ N and longitudes 32° 35′ 00″ E and 32° 50′ 00″E. The average elevation is 1,224 m above sea level. The average annual rainfall in the watershed is 1,290 mm. The Murchison Bay Watershed supports a variety of human activities. Core changes in the watershed include: urban expansion (29%); and, decreases in agricultural areas (18%), forests (6%), and wetlands (7%). Anthropogenic perturbations particularly land use/land cover change are primary threats in the watershed and watershed water quality and quantity in the bay are impacted by a combination of urban and agricultural pollutants. (Kiggundu et al., 2018)
This dataset comprises climate and water data as available and shareable for the Murchison Bay Watershed, Uganda. The data are formatted for easy use with hydrologic and water quality modeling or other water resources applications. Detailed metadata are provided with the dataset.
The following data are included with the dataset:
- Kampala (climate)
- River Gaging Station (streamflow)
- Grab Sampling Points (water quality)
Primary Data Columns:
- date: Calendar date (YYYY-MM-DD)
- prcpmm: Daily precipitation (mm)
- tmin_c: Daily Minimum Temperatures (degrees Celsius)
- tmax_c: Daily Maximum Temperatures (degrees Celsius)
Kampala Precipitation and Temperature: Makerere University Meteorological Station, Uganda National Meteorological Authority.
Streamflow and Water Quality Data: N.S. Kiggundu, Makerere University with acknowledgements to the Directorate of Water Resource Management (DWRM), Ministry of Water and Environment (MWE).
This dataset was made possible in part through support provided by the Center for Development Research, U.S. Global Development Lab (Lab), U.S. Agency for International Development, through the LASER PULSE Program under the terms of Cooperative Agreement No. 7200AA18CA00009. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Agency for International Development.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Kiggundu, N.; James Kisekka; Garibay, V. M.; Gitau, M. W.; Munishi, S. E.; Moriasi, D.; Alexander, A.; Bancy Mati; Victor Kongo (2022). Precipitation and Temperature (2000-2018), Streamflow (1997-2007), and Water Quality data (2011-2016) for Murchison Bay Watershed, Uganda.. Purdue University Research Repository. doi:10.4231/EB3J-CS77
Version 1.0 of January 15, 2021
The user is responsible for evaluation and use of the data. The authors make no warranties and are not liable for any errors arising out of or in connection to access or use of the dataset and associated materials.