Airborne Visible / Infrared Imaging Spectrometer (AVIRIS) hyperspectral sensor data (aviris.jpl.nasa.gov/) were acquired on June 12, 1992 over the Purdue University Agronomy farm northwest of West Lafayette and the surrounding area. The data were acquired to support soils research being conducted by Prof. Marion Baumgardner and his students.The area included major portions of the Indian Creek and Pine Creek watersheds and therefore became known as the Indian Pine data set. The AVIRIS data set include two flight lines ... one flown East-West and the other flown North - South. There were three approximately 2 mile by 2 mile 'intensive' test sites with the area that the AVIRIS data were acquired over. One in the northern portion (site 1) of the North-South flight line, one near the center (site 3) and one in the southern portion (site 2). The fields notes & photos and AVIRIS data in this publication are for site 3. Residue was a focus for the research; therefore the notes and photos document the residue condition for the fields.
This publication includes:
- Indian Pine Site 3 AVIRIS hyperspectral data image file (19920612_AVIRIS_IndianPine_Site3.tif)
- Documentation (reference data)
- pdf file with field notes (1992_06_12_IndianPines_Site3_Reference.pdf)
- ground photos of several of the fields in tif format. The names of the photos such as 3-10, 3-11, etc refers to site 3 and the field number given in the notes for each field that was observed.
- text file with description of the wavelengths for the AVIRIS bands (Calibration_Information_for_220_Channel_Data_Band_Set.txt)
- example color infrared image of the AVIRIS image (19920612_AVIRIS_IndianPine_Site3_ch50-27-17.png)
- example graph of the AVIRIS data for a single pixel in the image (19920612_AVIRIS_IndianPine_Site3_selection_graph.png)
- zip file with reference image which summarizes the categories from the field notes and a project file with field outlines that can be used with the MultiSpec freeware software application (Site3_Project_and_Ground_Reference_Files.zip)
- Other related AVIRIS Data
- Full North-South AVIRIS flight line; site 3 image was extracted from this image file. (19920612_AVIRIS_IndianPine_NS-line.tif [725 MB])
- zip file with reference image which summarizes the categories for a significant portion of the flight line and a project file with field outlines that can be used with the MultiSpec freeware software application. This information comes from notes taken during a wind-shield survey of the area. (19920612_AVIRIS_IndianPine_NS-line_gr.zip)
- Full East-West AVIRIS flight line; the image has been rotated so that North is at the top. There is no reference image to go with this image. A portion of the area overlaps with the North-South flight line. This image does includes Site 3. (19920612_AVIRIS_IndianPine_EW-line_R.tif [500 MB])
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Baumgardner, M. F., Biehl, L. L., Landgrebe, D. A. (2015). 220 Band AVIRIS Hyperspectral Image Data Set: June 12, 1992 Indian Pine Test Site 3. Purdue University Research Repository. doi:10.4231/R7RX991C
19920612_AVIRIS_IndianPine_Site3.tif file is a hyperspectral data file. It contains 220 bands/channels/layers. Each band represents a different portion of the electromagnetic spectrum or wavelength. Many commercial remote sensing and GIS applications can handle this type of image data. Also a freeware package called MultiSpec (engineering.purdue.edu/~biehl/MultiSpec/) can be used to view combinations of the bands in the file and do analyses of the data. This AVIRIS image file represents a 2 mile by 2 mile area at 20 meters spatial resolution.