The objective of this experiment was to provide a data set which can be used as an intermediate level of extrapolation between data collected from controlled experimental plots at field research stations and data collection by satellite scanners. The intensive test site represents a 5 by 6 mile area over commercial fields. The major crop in this intensive test site is winter wheat. Other crops in the site include corn, sorghum and soybeans along with some fields with no cover (bare soil). This experiment is a continuation of 751207.
Data were collected by a helicopter mounted Field Spectrometer System (FSS). The FSS system is based on a S191-H spectroradiometer. Data were collected for 6 lines running E-W across the test site. The FSS spectral data consists of .02 um wide bands from 0.4 to 1.1 um, .05 um wide bands from 1.1 to 2.4 um and 0.5 um wide bands from 8.0 to 14.0 um. The spectral data collected over the site are processed into two different formats. One format represents all individual observations collected over each field (termed single scan data) and the other format represents the average of all similar scans within each field (field averaged data).
The FSS data includes:
- Bidirectional reflectance factor data
- 70-millimeter boresight color photographs
- Flight logs
- Supporting agronomic, meteorological and atmospheric observations.
The test took place in 1976.
The supporting docs include a brief summary of used instruments, a wavelength table (Wavelength_ASCII.txt), reflectance note and reflectance tables (ReflectanceTable206.txt and ReflectanceTableMulti.txt), and file format description (ExperimentDataFormat3.txt). The format description file is in ASCII format in lines of 80 characters.
This research dataset is part the Field Research Data Library that consists of over 200,000 spectral observations of soils and vegetation that have been collected since 1972 till 1991 as part of the research focused on vegetation and soils at the Laboratory for Applications of Remote Sensing (LARS) located at the Purdue University.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Marvin E. Bauer (2015). Kansas Intensive Test Site 1988 (761207). Purdue University Research Repository. doi:10.4231/R7251G4Z
- Location: Commercial fields, Garden City, KS
- County: Finney
- Latitude/Longitude: 0381012N 1004312W
- Illumination: Solar
- Spectrometer: Helicopter-mounted FSS
- Wavelength Range: 0.40-12.50 um
- Experiment Type: Crops - Alfalfa, Corn, Grass, Soil, Sorghum, Soybeans, Winter Wheat