The objectives of this experiment are to determine (1) the threshold of early season spectral detection of soybeans, (2) the spectral response of soybeans as a function of growth and amount of vegetation, and (3) the effect of soil background differences, particularly soil color, on the spectral response and early detection of soybeans. The treatments were as follows:
- 3 Planting Dates
- 2 Row Spacings
- 2 Cultivars
- 2 Soil Types
A split plot design with two replications was used. Spectral and agronomic measurements were made as for the corn experiment.
The spectral reflectance measurements were made with a Landsat band radiometer (Exotech 100). Radiant temperatures and overhead color photographs of the canopies were obtained simultaneously with the reflectance measurements.
The major agronomic measurements of the plots included growth stage, percent soil cover, height, leaf area index, biomass, and surface soil moisture and condition. Grain yields were measured at harvest time.
- The spectrometer data (Exotech 20C-SW, Wavelength Range: 0.40-2.40 um): 791804.001.txt
- The radiometer (Landsat MSS Band Radiometer: Exotech 100, Wavelength Range: 0.50-1.10 um): 791804.051.txt
The test took place in 1979.
The supporting docs include a brief summary of used instruments, a wavelength table (Wavelength_ASCII.txt), reflectance note and reflectance tables (ReflectanceTable206.txt and ReflectanceTableMulti.txt), and file format description (ExperimentDataFormat3.txt). The format description file is in ASCII format in lines of 80 characters.
This research dataset is part the Field Research Data Library that consists of over 200,000 spectral observations of soils and vegetation that have been collected since 1972 till 1991 as part of the research focused on vegetation and soils at the Laboratory for Applications of Remote Sensing (LARS) located at the Purdue University.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Craig S. T. Daughtry (2015). Purdue Agronomy Farm Soybean Cultural Practices (791804). Purdue University Research Repository. doi:10.4231/R79W0CDB
- Location: Purdue Agronomy Farm, West Lafayette, IN
- County: Tippecanoe
- Latitude/Longitude: 0402813N 0865927W
- Illumination: Solar
- Experiment Type: Crops - Soybean, Soil
- Spectrometer: Exotech 20C-SW (Wavelength Range: 0.40-2.40 um)
- Landsat MSS Band Radiometer: Exotech 100 (Wavelength Range: 0.50-1.10 um)