PURR Mission Statement
The mission of the Purdue University Research Repository is to provide a platform and service for Purdue researchers to collaborate online and publish and archive datasets, to be preserved for long-term access and reuse, as a function of scholarly communication.
Modification of the Agreement
Eligibility, Registration, Access, and Termination
The PURR site is limited to non-commercial educational and research activities. Posting of spam messages or other commercial advertisements is a violation of these terms and may result in termination of your account.
Certain portions of PURR are limited to registered users and/or allow a user to participate in online services by entering personal information. You agree that any information provided to PURR in these areas will be complete and accurate, and that you will neither register under the name of nor attempt to enter PURR under the name of another person or entity.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your user ID and password, if any, and for restricting access to your computer, and you agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your account or password. PURR does not authorize use of your User ID by third-parties.
Privacy and Confidentiality
We respect your privacy. We will only use your personal identification information to support and manage your use of PURR, including the use of tracking cookies to facilitate PURR security procedures. Purdue University and PURR sponsors regularly request PURR usages statistics and other information. Usage of PURR is monitored and usage statistics are collected and reported on a regular basis. PURR also reserves the right to contact you to request additional information or to keep you updated on changes to PURR. You may opt out of receiving newsletters and other non-essential communications. No information that would identify you personally will be provided to sponsors or third parties without your permission.
The access to information posted or stored files on PURR is controlled by the project manager using one of two discrete storage mechanisms:
Private Project Space
- Access to files uploaded to a project is controlled by the project manager and protected by authentication and SSL encryption. Projects are secure and limited to only the designated members of the project.
Publishing Datasets on the Web
- Optionally, files can be published and made publicly accessible. The project manager is guided through a process where they select files from the project, describe those files, and submit the files for review and final publication. Published datasets are then available publicly on the PURR website by anyone with an internet connection, without restriction, or password protection.
When users create a projects in PURR, they will be prompted and asked to identify if their data are sensitive or restricted. PURR will walk them through a series of questions to ensure that their data are compliant with university regulations and policies and appropriate for upload to PURR. Specifically you will be notified that:
- PURR is not for the storage or dissemination of government-restricted, export-controlled, or proprietary company information (without permission) or Health Information Privacy Protection Act (HIPAA) data.
- The storage of identifiable personal data is allowable in the private, secure project space with the appropriate Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval.
- Data that includes any personally identifiable or other sensitive information should be scrubbed or otherwise de-identified before publishing and making it public.
- Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) data is allowed in PURR after a compliance review is conducted by staff from the Purdue University Office of the Registrar.
Tips and guidelines related to use of projects and publications in PURR can be found in the Knowledge Base.
You are responsible at all times for using PURR in a manner that is legal, ethical, and not to the detriment of others. Quotas for disk storage, job submissions, and other limited resources are strictly enforced. You may request an increase in your quota, but attempting to circumvent your quota is unethical and may lead to a termination of your account. You agree to delete unused files and acknowledge that if you fail to do so, the files may be deleted for you. You agree that you will not:
- Use email addresses obtained or accessed through PURR to transmit the same or substantially similar unsolicited message to multiple recipients without a valid purpose specifically related to the research and education mission of PURR;
- Use PURR to commit a criminal offense or to encourage others to conduct that would constitute a criminal offense or give rise to a civil liability;
- Violate any applicable law;
- Post or transmit any unlawful, threatening, libelous, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, pornographic, profane, or otherwise objectionable content;
- Use PURR to impersonate other parties or entities;
- Use PURR to upload any content that contains a software virus, "Trojan Horse" or any other computer code, files, or programs that may alter, damage, or interrupt the functionality of PURR or the hardware or software of any other person who accesses PURR;
- Upload, post, email, or otherwise transmit any materials that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under a contractual relationship;
- Alter, damage, or delete any content posted on PURR;
- Disrupt the normal flow of communication in any way;
- Claim a relationship with or speak for any business, association, or other organization for which you are not authorized to claim such a relationship;
- Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, or other forms of solicitation;
- Post any material that infringes or violates the intellectual property rights of another.
THE PURR AND ANY INFORMATION, PRODUCTS OR SERVICES ON IT ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Purdue University and PURR do not warrant, and hereby disclaim any warranties, either express or implied, with respect to the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of any good, service, or information obtained from PURR. Purdue University does not warrant that PURR will operate in an uninterrupted or error-free manner or that PURR is free of viruses or other harmful components. Use of PURR is at your own risk.
You agree that PURR and its administrator, Purdue University, shall have no liability for any consequential, indirect, punitive, special or incidental damages, whether foreseeable or unforeseeable (including, but not limited to, claims for defamation, errors, loss of data, or interruption in availability of data), arising out of or relating to your use of PURR or any resource that you access through PURR.
The PURR site hosts content from a number of authors. The statements and views of these authors are theirs alone, and do not reflect the stances or policies of Purdue University or their sponsors, nor does their posting imply the endorsement of Purdue University or their sponsors.
Choice of Law/Forum Selection/Attorney Fees
You agree that any dispute arising out of or relating to PURR, whether based in contract, tort, statutory or other law, will be governed by federal law and by the laws of Indiana, excluding its conflicts of law provisions. You further consent to the personal jurisdiction of and exclusive venue in the federal and state courts located in and serving Tippecanoe County, Indiana as the exclusive legal forums for any such dispute.